Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Orange juice for health

Orange juice is one of the healthiest things you can drink.  Especially if you use raw (unprocessed) juice.  One cup of raw juice provides more than double the RDA of Vitamin C and is also a good source of Vitamin A, thiamin, folate, and potassium. Processed juice, while still healthy, loses a considerable amount of Vitamin C and many of the amino acids found in raw juice.  Raw juice also has slight anti-inflammatory properties while processed juice is mildly inflammatory.  This is an important consideration if you suffer from allergies or joint pain.

I like to blend different varieties of citrus together when I'm juicing.  Yesterday I made a gallon of juice with Navels, some fruit from unnamed orange seedlings, and Ruby Red grapefruit.  It is a dark, rich color with a delightfully tangy flavor.  Next time the blend will be something different depending on which varieties I'm harvesting that day.  Don't be afraid to experiment with your own combinations!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Jim, Thanks for visiting my Central Florida Gardener blog. I've listed you in the post and on the blogroll.

We are soooo lucky to be able to enjoy fresh orange juice every morning. I, too, like to mix different fruits in one batch of juice.