Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Aechmea gamosepala

Aechmea gamosepala is a small-growing species, with individual plants usually staying less than one foot tall and wide.  Flowering of plants occurs simultaneously in late fall and may extend into early winter.

Plants multiply rapidly and quickly form large clumps when planted in the ground.


The inflorescence gradually turns dark pink and retains color for about two months. 


If kept in containers, they are quite comfortable in a five-inch pot.
Aechmea gamosepala grows in shade or filtered sun and is hardy to 20°F.
Buy Aechmea gamosepala offsets

5 comments:

Meems said...

Jim,
Oh, I have a couple of these... they were pass alongs and are now blooming. So pretty is the limey green foliage and now this blue- tipped bract reminds me of Christmas. Thanks for the ID,too.
Meems

p3chandan said...

Wow!They look so bizarre with that inflorescence pink and blue, never seen them before though beautiful and exotic! Im surprised they thrive in winter!

Susan said...

My Matchsticks are blooming, too, and they are one of my favorites. I'm glad to hear that they'll survive down to 20 degrees. Hurray, I won't have to bring them in.

Carla said...

I have this same plant blooming now too. You have more blooms than I do though.

Steve Asbell said...

Good news! I managed to save one of my matchsticks from vase rot and its blooming now! This is one of my fave plants obviously.